Dec. 17 of this year marked 120 years of the YMCA providing service to Sault Ste. Marie and surrounding area, a recent news release issued by the local YMCA stated.
What began as the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in 1900, has now grown to provide a variety of services to the community, including youth activities, childcare, fitness programming, and family assistance programs.
Through two World Wars, the Great Depression, and global pandemics, the organization has supported the community. From its first location renting rooms on Queen Street, the Sault Ste. Marie YMCA then relocated to March Street in 1913, and later moved to its current facility on McNabb Street in 1965.
“At the YMCA, our desire is to always be a catalyst for positive change within our community,” said Bob Burns, Sault Ste. Marie YMCA board past chair in the news release.
“Through our focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, we embrace and nurture the promise that lies everyone. Our staff and volunteers believe in this commitment and carry it out on a daily basis. In their mind, the glass is always half full, and they’re always thinking of new ways to fill it. This is why the YMCA has been having an impact on our community for 120 years, and why we will be here for years to come. The Y isn't simply part of our community, it is part of the very fabric of our community.”
The Sault Ste. Marie YMCA has a number of initiatives and events planned for the coming year that will be rolled out as soon as it is safe to do, the release states.
For more information, please visit the Sault Ste. Marie YMCA website.